Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Life Experience - Part 2

Previously, I shared that I really cannot hear people really well. I was born with 80% loss of hearing. People sometimes feel bad for me, but the good news is that I can wear hearing aids and to me, it is the greatest invention ever. It's not perfect and it doesn't solve all of my hearing problems, but I'm not complaining!

However, my hearing loss also gave me another problem - my speech. Sure, my voice sounds good to me, but when I hear myself on a tape or DVD, my stomach cringes. When little children ask me "why I speak funny", I usually tell them that I'm British! This is something that I have always struggled with - my frustration to speak clearly and normal like everyone else.

Shortly after I became a Christ-follower, I felt the nudging of God in my life to the preaching ministry. When I was in middle school, I was told that it was a bad idea to go into ministry because of my speech and hearing. Deep inside me, I knew the calling of God in my life, but I just denied it. I was afraid that people would make fun of me because of my speech. However, God never gave up on me.

One day, I was having my quiet time with God and was reading Exodus 4 about Moses at the burning bush. Moses told God that he too spoke in a "funny" voice and that nobody would listen to him. God told Moses that He can still use him in spite of his weakness. After reading that story, I was challenged by God, and I surrendered to His will for my life. God can use a "funny" speaking person to spread His good news!

God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important.
1 Corinthians 1:27-28 (NLT)

Everyday, God has helped me and has given me the strength to not be concerned about my speech impediment. I have learned that my "deficiency has become his efficiency." I have seen God use my handicap to reach people. I don't know how He does it, but I just trust God to speak through me and to help me not to worry about my speech.

Anyway, I hope this post was a blessing to you.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Scotty you have been keeping up with this I am thoroughly impressed.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great testimony! (stopping by from blog guild - again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your story and I know you will be greatly used in Michigan.

    Thanks for being a part of the Blog Guild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. stopping by from the blog guild.

    i grew up in the bloomfield hills area, so i'm familiar with where you are planning your church plant. which city will you be planting the church?

    i'm tom hogsed's wife by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a blessing to us all. Praise the Lord that you followed Him. I know that you could hear me well in college because I have that "low" voice - right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Janelle! Glad to hear from you!

    BTW, Leah, we are planting in Macomb Township on Romeo Plank between 21 and 22 mile rd.

    ReplyDelete