Monday, February 16, 2009

My Life Experience - Part 1

I was born in Royal Oak, Michigan on December 6, 1974. I was also born with hearing loss in both ears. When I was 2 1/2 years old, they diagnosed 80% loss of hearing in the high frequency range. This is why I cannot hear the ladies, especially when they nag! So ladies, if you like to speak to me, you must speak to me in a low "manly" voice. (For those who don't really know me, I'm just kidding - my hearing is NOT that bad.)

Since then, I've been wearing hearing aids which really help my hearing, but it doesn't quite solve all my problems. For example:
  • Hard to hear in group conversation (hard to read a lot of lips all at once)
  • Phone conversations are somewhat difficult (especially when they are talking too fast)
  • People praying (can't read lips with eyes close - but I sometimes peak to look)
  • Television (need closed caption)
  • Songs (need closed caption)
  • Radio (again, need closed caption)
  • And did I mention nagging women (of course, I'm not talking about my wife. Karen never nags).
My hearing loss also gave me another problem - my speech. Soon, I will share with you in another post about how God has used my weakness to turn into His strength for His glory.

1 comment:

  1. it's nice to meet you. i'm stopping by from the blog guild.

    ReplyDelete