Monday, March 23, 2009

What will Lakepointe Church look like?

This past week, I read an awesome blog post by Perry Noble, pastor of New Spring Church in Anderson, SC. He shared how churches are so consumed with terminology and labels that they are missing the point of what they should be!

Read the following post by Perry Noble: Terminology or Transformation?

My desire for Lakepointe Church is to be a New Testament church who is:
  • Traditional in teaching God's Word in relevant ways. The message stays the same, but methodology changes.
  • Seeker-friendly in our approach to reaching people who are far away from God. We want them to visit a church where they don't feel like they are out of place and to receive a message that they can understand.
  • Missional in which we are to always be adaptive to the changing culture that we're trying to reach. A church in Detroit is going to look different than a church in Jay, Florida.
  • Attractional so that people will want to come back to church each week. Everything should be done with excellence! I know "time machines" aren't real, but they are real in many churches because it feels like you're in the 1950's when you walk in!
  • Purpose-driven because I believe that a church without a purpose will eventually die or become useless! Our purpose is to see lives transformed. I pray that Lakepointe Church will never become a "country club with a steeple on top that gives our community the middle finger and tells them to go to hell because reaching them would make us uncomfortable!" [Perry Noble]

3 comments:

  1. I am excited for you Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said. I think I would ad a section "Gospel centered" Thanks for your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete